Rev. Lee Maxwell

Rev. Lee Allen Maxwell, age 59 of Collinsville, IL, passed away at 7:09 pm on Friday, December 5, 2014 at Relais Bonne Eau Hospice Home in Edwardsville, IL.

Pastor Maxwell was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on January 12, 1955, to Gene and Melva Maxwell. He was reborn as a child of God in the waters of Holy Baptism on February 12, 1955, and on September 28, 1969, was confirmed in the Christian faith and fed the life-giving body and blood of Jesus.

Pastor Maxwell received his undergraduate education at Concordia College, St. Paul, Minnesota, followed by an M.A. in Classics at the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis). He continued with seminary education at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and then with graduate studies, and receiving a Fullbright grant to study at the University of Tübingen. He completed his doctorate (Th.D.) at Concordia Seminary in 1990.

Pastor Maxwell was ordained into the Office of the Holy Ministry on September 10, 1989.  He served as pastor to Christ’s holy people at Berea Lutheran Church, Riverview, Missouri (1989–99); and St. John Lutheran Church, Maryville, Illinois (1999–2014). Pastor Maxwell also served as mentor and shepherd to numerous field workers from Concordia Seminary, led seminary students and others on archaeological digs in Syria and the Middle East, and served as an adjunct faculty member at Concordia Seminary. In addition to a number of scholarly articles, Pastor Maxwell authored The Altar Guild Manual, published by Concordia Publishing House and used by thousands of congregations throughout the Missouri Synod.

He was preceded in death by his father, Gene, and is survived by his mother, Melva, and by his siblings, Lon (Colleen), Brian (Cheryl), and Laura. 

Visitation will be from 9am to 11am on Saturday, December 13, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church, 7201 W. Main Street, Maryville, IL.

Funeral service will be at 11am with Rev. Gregg  Pavelski officiating.  Burial will be in St. John Lutheran Cemetery, Maryville, IL.

Memorials may be made to St. John Lutheran Church.

Go Back >>